19 May 2-Week Neighbourhood Mapping & Storytelling Internship Project in Hong Kong
*Please note: applications for the internship project are now closed.
Date: June 8-19 . 2020
Location: Kennedy Town 堅尼地城 . Shek Tong Tsui 石塘咀 . Sai Ying Pun 西營盤
The iDiscover Internship Project is a unique opportunity for motivated individuals to explore HongKong through their own lens. Interns will unveil the historic layers in three old neighbourhoods (Kennedy Town, Shek Tong Tsui and Sai Ying Pun), learn the stories of old streets, long-time residents and popular shopkeepers and dive deep into local culture and living heritage.
“We are looking for motivated interns with an interest in urban exploration, local culture,architecture and community stories”
What you will do
Interns will get hands-on experience working under the mentorship of the iDiscover team with help of our community partners. The 2-week programme has daily morning briefing & reflection sessions and in the afternoons interns work on their personalized projects (individually or as a group) where they explore the cultural identity of their own city and what it means for them. Zooming in to neighbourhood level, interns set out to discover and analyse what makes this city unique, and publish their observations in the form of blogs, vlogs and a place identity report. The internship concludes with a presentation to an expert panel.
We will work in two streams:
creative storytelling and neighbourhood mapping.
1. Creative Storytelling
Week 1 – Neighbourhood Discovery
Guided by a step-by-step methodology, interns pick one of the 3 neighbourhoods, research its identity, articulate a narrative and then document stories, observations and explorations in the form of a 10-20-site curated itinerary that will be published as a walking route in the iDiscover App and as a blog in the iDiscover website.
Week 2 – Neighbourhood Vlog
Under guidance of an experienced filmmaker, interns will together produce one 3-min vlog style video of their favourite neighbourhood. They will make use of their discoveries in week 1 and also have access to the extensive body of knowledge available in the iDiscover team and among our community partners.
2. Neighbourhood Mapping
Week 1 – Neighbourhood Research
Guided by a step by step methodology interns will research and analyse what makes a neighbourhood unique. Experimenting with accessible quantitative and qualitative research methods they will map locals’ favourite places to eat, drink, shop, play and pray.
Week 2 – Place Identity Report
Interns will work collectively to produce aPlace Identity Report for one of the 3 neighbourhoods. They will map the tangible and intangible qualities of the urban fabric, analyse the ‘value of place’, using the extensive body of knowledge available in the iDiscover team, among our community partners and complement with on-site fact-finding and desk research.
What you need to know
- This is a full-time internship position for a two-week period. Only apply if you can commit to the full two weeks.
- We operate out of the Hive Studios, a co-working space in Kennedy Town with strict hygiene procedures in place including daily temperature checks. Every intern is required to sign a travel history form.
- We meet every morning Monday-Friday at 10.30 at the Hive Studios. This way we avoid rush-hour traffic. In the afternoons you’ll be expected to work go out and/or work from the Hive. Your going home time is flexible depending on your tasks for the day.
- Upon successful completion of the 2-week programme you will receive an internship allowance of HK$1,000 and a personalized letter highlighting your contributions and achievements in the project.
What we expect from you
We’re looking to recruit max 10 students. Both Cantonese and non-Cantonese speakers can apply. Only successful applicants will be contacted. Requirements:
- Completed high school – IB/GCSE/HKDSE
- A high level of initiative, a positive attitude and love for exploring
- Enjoy talking to and meeting new people
- For creative storytelling stream – skills in photography, videography, sketching or graphic design are a plus
- For neighbourhood mapping– skills in persuasive writing, interviewing and analytical thinking are a plus
On Friday 19th of June, you will present your products to an expert panel of Hong Kong architects, academics, writers, film makers and a district councilor (!). We’ve also found these passionate people willing to join us in the days leading up to the final presentation to give feed-back on your project ideas and share with you some insights into their professional life; a sneak peak into ‘a day in the life of..’ We’re still confirming the line-up, so stay tuned.
How to apply
Send us an e-mail with your motivation in less than 500 words and include attachments (blog, paper, video, etc.) that show your skills and style. Any questions, feel free to ask. firstname.lastname@example.org
Download this PDF to find out more about the internship programme.
地點：堅尼地城 . 石塘咀 . 西營盤
- 我們的工作室位於堅尼地城的共享工作空間theHive Studios。實習生必須遵從衛生指引，每天量度體溫，必要時須填寫外遊紀錄
- 為避免交通繁忙時段，我們將會於逢一至五，每天早上十時三十分於theHive Studios集合。下午時段學員有機會出外工作，解散時間則根據當天的內容和進度而定
- 完成中學學位，包括IB/GCSE/HKDSE 課程