Prime street home to the residence of the Dutch Chief Commander, later renamed Queen’s House
Fort’s workers - librarians, court typists, museum caretakers, rugby players, policy officers and ice-cream sellers - pass through the narrow the gate in the old spice warehouse on Queen’s Street. They travel by foot, tuk-tuk or motorcycle, usually in pairs. Their colourful dress is a cheerful addition to the backdrop of the saffron-coloured building.
Tuk-tuk drivers stop at the small gas station - the only one in Fort - next to the Governor’s Residence, which was built in 1683. They get fuel, have a light snack or a friendly chat in the welcoming shade of the crumbling building that was once the most important one in Fort.