An old stone bridge to gambler’s paradise
Hidden at the rear exit gate of this local school are two stone plaques with the characters Lok Sin Tong (樂善堂) and Lung Chun (龍津). These small plaques tell a big story: that of the old gambler's bridge, a 200-metre-long stone bridge. It connected the Walled City's East gate to a pier where small boats would ferry clients from Hong Kong Island to the Walled City's casinos. Gambling was prohibited since 1872, but the lawless Walled City was the place to go for a tipple.
Buried under Kai Tak airport
The bridge is no more. In the 1920s, it disappeared in the reclamation for the Kai Tak airport. The Japanese later built the airport's terminal right on top of the Northern part of the bridge.
Lung Shun Pier’s pavilion
The original plaques from the pier's welcoming pavilion were saved by the Lok Sin Tong charity and now adorn the Lok Sin Tong school gate. The history of this charity goes way back: they set up in 1880 in the Kowloon City market and went on to build the bridge, pier and a welcoming pavilion.